5th RRU - Detachment D - 1965 - 1966

Don Collins Recovered from Bill Bogart's old 7th Web Site

This was our first barracks at the Udorn Air Base. The story we
heard was these had originally been the Japanese officers barracks
in WWII. The picture was taken in late 1965.

This was our second barracks at the 207th Signal Compound.
It was an unused barracks that we sort of took over. It wasn't
very big, about 75% of it is in the picture, and everyone E5 and
above was given Per Diem, and expected to fend for themselves.

The 207th was where we initially started operating. The trucks
were initially parked there as just a temporary thing. When it
was decided that the site that we were supposed to start operating
from was too dangerous (it was in the Air Force ammo dump), we
just opened the vans, threw barbed wire around them, and started
operating. The 207th wasn't to pleased but...........

This is an enlargement of the Sign. It's a very interesting sign.
This was the last station in a communications line that ran from
Bangkok to Vientiane, Laos.

The first EM club at the 7th.

These next two pictures are the third site we were at in Udorn, next to the village of Non Soong.
The first site was the 207th Signal parking lot. The second was the concrete pad about 150 yards east of this picture.
We operated at the pad site for six months or so, while still using the barracks at the signal corp compound.
A big bus hauled us back and forth. Then in early march of 1966 we moved into this site.
This was also about the time that some of the original team left, including me.
Based on some pictures that I've seen on the web site, the Field Station was built just east of here, about where the second operating site was.
The first picture shows "main street." In the background you can see the big roof that they built to put the M-292 vans under.
Believe me, it made them much more bearable to be in. In front of that you can see the M-292 van that the CO used for his office.
Across the street is the little Volkswagen bus that we used as a shuttle to get into town, go to the Air base, and any other errand that might come up.
Sort of the unit taxi. The little red car is a Sunbeam Alpine that was owned by the maintenance foreman.
It had a bad electrical system, and would never start, so we would have to push it for him. Fortunately the car was pretty light, and it wasn't a problem.

This is a picture of Captain Pavlin and Lt. Hart. Captain Pavlin was the first CO
of the 7th and Lt Hart was first XO. I don't know who the Sergeant sneaking
in the door behind the CO is.

Pavlin was the first CO, Hart the first XO and Traweek the first 1SG of the unit.
They were all there in the beginning. These pictures were taken at a going away party
for the Captain in very early march 1966. Actually the unit had been there a year,
and a lot of us were rotating out. This was sort of a last party, and we made it a memorable one.
Lt Hart went on to Vietnam, where he was with the unit supporting the 1st infantry Division at
Di An. I ran into him just before I left in early 1967, and I believe he was a new Captain at that time.

This is a picture of Pattaya Beach. They brought us back from Udorn a week
early when we left, and we went to the beach at Pattaya for the weekend

Elephant rides at Non Soong.

This is a picture of Seri Court in Bangkok, Thailand. The building
on the left in the foreground is the new mess hall. It wasn't in operation yet,
and we were sleeping in there until we went to Udorn.

This is another picture of Seri Court, Bangkok in March of 1966.
Doesn't really have anything to do with Udorn, but I think its interesting
to see the new barracks addition under construction. I use the term
barracks rather loosely here. I've lived in apartments that weren't as
good as the "barracks" there.