83rd RRSOU Detachment B/J - Rich Jaslovsky

· On 27 September 1968 I was sent, along with 3 other 05H's, TDY to Detachment B (DF) of the 83rd RRSOU in Ubon.  We were there is see the feasibility of intercepting our targets in the Vietnam theater of operations . Our initial intercept site was located at Detachment B.  As you entered the driveway to Detachment B the intercept trailer was setup to the left just outside of the antenna array.  All went well with the test and the permanent site, Detachment J, was eventfully  setup at Ubon Royal Thai Air Force Base.

· On 2 May 1969 we were officially assigned to Detachment B of the 83rd RRSOU. We moved the site to the Air Force base and set up at the opposite end of the runway from the main entrance and flight line. The trailers were set on a concrete pad. We used diesel generators for power until the Air Force was able to provide us with power from the base.

· Around July / August 1969, Detachment J (Intercept) of the 83rd was formerly established joining Detachment B (DF).

· On August 1, 1970 the remaining personnel attached to the 83rd RRSOU Detachment B/J were reassigned to the 7th RRFS Detachment C/J as the 83rd was being downsized and the 7th RRFS was designated as the new HQ.

When we first arrived in Ubon we stayed at a 9 bungalow complex called "Sang Siri". One of the buildings was our kitchen/mess hall.  At night we used to show movies from that building.  We also had a bar in the 1st floor of one of the bungalows.  The bar was named "The ETAH Club".  

We outgrew the bungalows and had to move to the Siam Hotel. We took over 2 floors. The top floor was our Kitchen and Bar and day room.  The floor below that was used for housing.  Since I married a Thai national in June of 70 I lost my security clearance until there was a background check done on my wife.  During this period I ran the House.  I collected money from all the men to pay for the housing, food and Thai help.  I would order food for the following month from the commissary in Bangkok.  

Once a month another person and I would drive if a 5 ton truck from Ubon to HQ of the 83rd in Bangkok.  We would leave early in the morning to arrive in Bangkok by late afternoon.  The next day we would make the rounds picking up food and any other items that had to go to Ubon.  On the return trip we would leave Bangkok in the early evening and arrive in Ubon by mid morning.  We had 2 fifty five gallon drums tied to the bed of the truck that held enough gas to make the trip non stop. 

We usually carried a 45cal pistol and a M16 with 10 magazines for protection.  I never had any trouble with the trips but one day when we left Bangkok later than expected  we stopped at the base in Korat for the evening.  The next morning we went to the motor pool to fill the fuel tank.  While there a convoy was just arriving from up north.  There were holes in the side of a few trucks.  The drivers said they received sniper fire between Udorn and Korat.  There were stories of trucks leaving Korat with supplies for the NCO/Officers clubs in the northern bases never showing up.  They had American drivers with Thai guards.  The trucks, drivers and guards disappeared. 

One day a couple of months after moving into the Siam Hotel, Thai police raided us.  They said we were an unauthorized bar that was selling booze to the local Thais.  They confiscated all of the booze, beer, wine and any food that we had stored there.  After the raid we set up food storage at the DF site and brought to the hotel only enough food to last a few days at a time.

The base was attacked a couple of times.

In July 1969 a couple of sappers came onto the base and set satchel charges on a C47 and destroyed it. At that time we had no protection at the site for our guys so we installed a perimeter consisting of a two rows of triple concertina wire.

The Air Force did not have much in the way of perimeter protection at that time. There was only a barbed wire fence for a perimeter. They started building a perimeter with two rows of triple concertina wire with a cleared middle area and trip flares. They also built guard towers and a row of bunkers parallel to the perimeter.  

After this attack I was able to have the Air Force drop off a few truck loads of sand and sand bags.  I had permission from the Air Police to take as much concertina wire I needed to complete our perimeters.  I just had to tell them how much I took so they could replace the rolls so that they could complete the base perimeter.  I went to the bomb dump and procured wooden bomb crates.  One of the maintenance guys was able to get 4x4's and sheets of steel that was used for the taxiways on the base.

When all this procurement was done we built a perimeter around the communications trailers that consisted of two rows of triple concertina.  We also built 2 bunkers outside this perimeter.  The maintenance guys would put support posts in the ground for the perimeter.  After each trick the guys would stay for a while and put the triple concertina up.  There was only one pair of protective gloves and most of us got cut up laying the wire.

After the both perimeters were up and the gates secured we started building the bunkers.  Once again after each trick the guys stayed to fill sandbags.  While this was being done the maintenance guys would be setting the posts for the steel roof of the bunker and set the bomb crates for the bunker walls and fill them with sand.  After that was done we then put the sandbags around the crates and finished off the bunkers.

On 13 January 1970 about 10 sappers infiltrated the first perimeter of the base, across from our site, and worked their way parallel to the runway. When they were across from the flight line they crossed through the 2nd perimeter where an Airman on Canine patrol spotted them. At around 1:30am all hell broke loose. All of the Air Force machine-guns in that area opened up and all of the infiltrators were killed. The Airman and his dog were wounded.

8th Security Police Squadron!8th Security Police Squadron! Link to the Attack

I had 10 guys jammed into a Bronco driving to the base to help the 2 men at the Intercept site.  Some of the other guys took their motorcycles and went to the DF site.  When we got to the Intercept site, there was only 1 magazine loaded for the M14's that we had so needless to say we set up a line and loaded every magazine that we had with a full load of 20 rounds.  For the rest of the night the Thai's were popping mortar flares, and a C130 was circling the base dropping flares. The Air Force personnel in the bunkers behind us were very nervous. This made all of us, that made it to the site, very uncomfortable since we were between Air Force machine-guns and the perimeter. After that, all was quiet for the rest of the night.

Members of the 83rd RRSOU Detachment B/J on June 4, 1969
PFC Alexander, William K SP4 Anders, Donald W SP4 Barlkey, James R PFC Barnet, Kenneth R PFC Bedard, Paul G
SP5 Blount, Carey S SP4 Bolden, Dennis B SP5 Brown, James F CPT Caylor, Larry E 2LT Conway, Robert M
MSG Dunn, Joe T SP5 Fix, Louis X SP5 Floyd, Kenneth C SP4 Foster, Robert P SP4 Freese, Gary E
SP5 Fryer, Eric P SP5 Futchko, Bernard J SP4 Georgi, Robert P SP4 Guerrero, Raymond J SP4 Georgi, Robert P
SP4 Guerrero, Raymond J SP4 Hammond, William H SP4 Hayes, Charles W SP5 Jaslovsky, Richard W SP4 Johnson, Russell E
SP5 Kinahan, John G SP4 LeFrancois, Richard J SP5 Levie, Harold C SP5 Mc Daniel, Bryon E SP4 Miller, Michael L
SP4 Morton, Larry L SP4 Panacy, James G Jr SSG Poole, Robert W SP5 Puritun, Larry L SP5 Reichhardt, John R
SP4 Sanchez, Ruben SP5 Scott, Randall N SP4 Shea, Dennis R SSG Smith, Robert L SP4 Spurlin, Clifford L
PFC Sutton, Raymond J SP5 Todd, Wilber L SP4 Vaughan, Stephen M SP5 Wilber, George G SP5 Wiswell, Norman H
Richard W. Jaslovsky Web Master